Wednesday, July 9, 2014

All About My Hair

Hola ladies! I hope humpday is treating everyone well! I get to work tonight, of course! :)

I wanted to take today's post and talk about my hair! I get a lot of comments and questions about my hair quite consistently- about my washing schedule, products, styling, etc.- so I figured I'd take some time to explain.


Texture/Length.
My hair is about 5-6 inches past my shoulders, it is dyed a dark red right now, it's super dry, coarse, thick and wavy/curly. It's easily damaged and it takes FOREVER to grow.

Washing Schedule.
This is one that I hear about ALL the time. Let me say that I've never been one to wash my hair every day. My mom always told me every other day was best, so that's the schedule I stuck to until I was about 17. That's when I read this post from Mel about her hair care routine. So I decided to try it! I started washing my hair every Wednesday and Sunday. It was hard at first- you feel like your hair is just beyond too oily and super grody looking (no lie, the messy bun was my bestie at work). However, once my hair got used to this new cycle it definitely looked and felt healthier! Over the last few years that cycle has gradually lengthened and now I only wash my hair every 7-8 days, roughly once a week. (It's not as gross as it sounds, I promise.) I let my hair really soak up the water and then use a tiny bit of shampoo on the area close to the scalp. I only put conditioner on the bottom 8 inches or so and I use LOTS of it, let it sit for a good 10 minutes while I shave, loofah up, etc. then rinse with cold water.


Products.
I'm not too big on lots of products, mostly because I'm super lazy. As far as shampoo and conditioner I'm not too particular on brand, but I need two things: it has to be an intense moisturizing formula and the conditioner has to be THICK. Lately, I've been favoring Tresemme for my shampoo and conditioner, but quite frankly I cannot tell the difference between brands. After the final rise I usually some kind of thick, heavy leave-in conditioner. Again, I'm not picky! Sometimes I used a cream leave-in conditioner, others I favor Moroccan Argan Oil (the heavy duty stuff), and lots of it. Occasionally I'll use mousse, but it tends to dry out my hair, so I'll only do it if I feel the particular need for excess volume while styling (which isn't too often, cause, let's face it, my hair has a stratosphere all it's own). On my in between washing days I refresh my hair with a conditioner/water mixture in a spray bottle. It helps massively to spritz it on my curls and bring them back to life.


Styling.
To be perfectly honest, I'm SUPER lazy when it comes to my hair. Sometimes I blow dry my hair after washing, sometimes I let it air dry. I straighten it every once in a while just because I like to see how long it's getting! :) At work, I have to keep it pulled back so I try and get creative with my little up do's.

Umm... I think that's all I've got for right now! If you guys have questions feel free to leave a little comment or offer up little tidbits about your own hair profile!


Much love always!
Post a Comment